Saturday, April 4, 2020

Caregivers Using Spiritual Practices to Cope With COVID-19

March 22, 2020 was a significant day for many churches and faith groups across the country.  My own home church actually launched its first ever on-line service.  I was so glad as I was able to watch it from my work location.  It was encouraging and uplifting to see familiar faces and in one case, “make history,” by participating in the service by watching.

Regular worship attendance is a part of my journey as a hospital chaplain.  I cannot imagine what it would be like not to have a church home where I can worship, sing songs, hear music and prayers, hear scripture, and be encouraged by a challenging message from a pastor.  It is like feeding my soul each week.  I need it and it is so important to my emotional and spiritual health.

I hope you will find a way to listen to a service, sermon, music, inspirational speaker this week as you wind down an amazingly stressful week in health care settings.

One quick story:  In April 2001 I had the devastating experience of layoff from my work as a correctional chaplain at a correctional facility in South Carolina.  I remember going into the warden’s office and hearing his words, “I’m sorry, but we are going to have to lay off some of our staff and I am sorry to say that includes you that are here.”  I could not believe my ears.  Even now some people in South Carolina are hearing those same words from their hospitality and food employer, gym fitness center, and retail settings to name a few.  I imagine some of us know someone who has already had that happen to them.  It is sad.  It is hurtful to the one laid off and it effects entire family systems.  So what can we do?  Here are three quick ideas:

1.            Reconnect with your faith tradition and its resources.  Maybe this can be a time for spiritual renewal and growth.  It is already for me and I am using the time as such.

2.            Call your friends and check on them.  Do not wait for them to call you.  Maybe they need some spiritual encouragement as they deal with the stress of being newly minted “home school professors” for all of their kids.  Imagine the stress of parents who are trying to juggle work and family responsibilities.  It is almost beyond the ability of most, but with God, all things are possible.

3.            Maybe reframe and rethink some of the downtime as a way to accomplish some necessary tasks.  Maybe there is a book you have been wanting to read or even a house repair project that needs some simple but convincing attention.  Even a well deserved nap during the day may be a new opportunity that has not been available in the past.  Above all, be good to yourself and find a way to bless yourself and your life.  It’s ok to do that.

Thank you for all you are doing as a clinicians, healthcare caregivers, and EMS services.  May goodness be upon you and your family.  Amen.

No comments: